1. Examples of Narthex in a Sentence Recent Examples on the Web There is a Narthex, or entrance hall, brightly lit and full of movement in and out
2. — Diarmaid Macculloch, The New York Review of Books, "The Vitality of Orthodoxy," 17 June 2020 Call ahead for carryout orders at 859-371-2622 and pick up meals up inside the church Narthex.
3. Noun a portico at the west end of a basilica or church, esp one that is at right angles to the nave a rectangular entrance hall between the porch and nave of a church Word Origin for Narthex
Noun, , Narthex
4. Narthex, long, narrow, enclosed porch, usually colonnaded or arcaded, crossing the entire width of a church at its entrance.
5. Narthex’s mission is to breathe new life into existing facilities
6. The Narthex is the entry space for worship
7. The Catholic Bishops define the term in their publication, Built of Living Stones : “The Narthex is a place of welcome—a threshold space between the …
8. A survival of the exterior Narthex may be found in the church of San Ambrogio at Milan; of the interior Narthex, in Santa Agnese, at Rome.
9. Narthex is the national initiative for denominational diversity and social engagement Three predictions for ministry in 2021 Narthex December 26, 2020 While ministry is a broad category of society and the economy, the following are three predictions on matters of focus for Narthex.
10. Narthex was the moon of Catadra, a planet in the Deep Core 's Cerberon system
11. Having once been inhabited, Narthex had been unpopulated for nearly a millennium, and the moon was overrun with dirkweed brambles
12. Following the Battle of Endor, a group of Imperials resided in a hideout on Narthex.
13. Feb 22, 2020 - Explore Amy Thompson's board "Narthex" on Pinterest
14. The dome and Narthex are modern additions
15. The addition of a Narthex before the main front and a vestibule on the northern side brings the whole western arm of the cross to a square on plan
16. The top of the Narthex forms a wide gallery, communicating with the interior at the triforium level.
17. Narthex, in early Christian architecture a portion of the church at the west end, separated from the nave by a low wall or screen and reserved for the catechumens, energumens, and penitents who were not admitted amongst the congregation
Narthex, , Not
18. The Narthex was of two kinds, exterior and interior: the former consisted of an open atrium arcade continued across the front of the church; in the latter
19. ‘As soon they reached the Narthex, a small antechamber built off of the western gate's wall, Rachel twisted the handle to the room, and the door groaned open.’
20. Definition of Narthex in the Definitions.net dictionary
21. What does Narthex mean? Information and translations of Narthex in the most comprehensive …
22. Best known as a local San Francisco Hip Hop Group, Narthex and their sound have developed and grown in popularity since 2000
23. The plural form of Narthex is Narthexes or narthices
Narthex, Narthexes, Narthices
24. As nouns the difference between vestibule and Narthex is that vestibule is (architecture) a passage, hall or room, such as a lobby, between the outer door and the interior of a building while Narthex is (architecture) a western vestibule leading to the nave in some (especially orthodox) christian churches.
25. The Narthex for Holy Trinity Episcopal Church links both parking areas and the worship space to all other church functions
26. The word “Narthex,” though a relatively new term, refers to an archaic word for the porch or ante-chamber in front of the old cathedrals in Europe
27. Narthex (n.) "porch at the west end of early churches," the end furthest from the sanctuary (used by penitents not admitted to the body of the church), 1670s, from Late Greek Narthex, in classical Greek "giant fennel," a word of unknown origin, perhaps Pre-Greek.The architectural feature allegedly was so called from the fancied resemblance of the porch to a hollow stem.
28. Examples of how to use “Narthex” in a sentence from the Cambridge Dictionary Labs
29. Narthex furniture by Imperial creates an inviting first impression
30. Narthex an antechamber, porch, or distinct area at the western entrance of some early Christian churches, separated off by a railing and used by catechumens, penitents, and others; an antechamber or large porch in a modern church
31. Narthex Press was founded in 2011, and is located at 17178 Citronia St in Northridge
32. Additional information is available at www.Narthexpress.com or by contacting Spencer Kezios at (818) 349-6405.
33. Welcome to "From The Narthex." Have you ever questioned your faith or have pressing questions about the church? Well, we're here to answer those for you! This is a space to think through your faith, your forgotten faith, or faith you’d like to try out again.
34. Narthex is a revolutionary concept that brings the access economy to older churches
35. Narthex of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Ukrainian Greek Catholic church
36. Bucharest, Romania: Mosaic icon of St Nicholas in Narthex of Orthodox Church, Antim Monastery
37. Mosaic icon of St Nicholas in Narthex (outside porch) of the
38. Ruins of Narthex Surb Astvatsatsin, Church of Holy Virgin
39. The Narthex was of two kinds, exterior and interior: the former consisted of an open atrium arcade continued across the front of the church; in the latter, the aisle and gallery were returned across the nave
40. A survival of the exterior Narthex may be found in the church of San Ambrogio at Milan; of the interior Narthex, in Santa Agnese, at Rome.
41. Find 17 ways to say Narthex, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
42. Mark’s needed convenient bathrooms on the sanctuary/Narthex level, and that these bathrooms needed to meet American Disabilities Act specifications as well as the needs of families with young children.
Needed, Narthex, Needs
43. Narthex när´thĕks , entrance feature peculiar to early Christian and Byzantine churches, although also found in some Romanesque churches, especially in France and Italy
44. Narthex definition: a portico at the west end of a basilica or church, esp one that is at right angles to the Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples
45. Outside the Narthex was the atrium, an open court, having in the centre the remains of the labrum, or laver, where the people washed their hands and faces before entering the church
46. Atkinson reaches too far for a word -- "Narthex," "contumacious" and "nugacities," to name a few
Narthex, Nugacities, Name
47. Narthex is a topical theological journal starting in 1981 and ending publication in 1992
48. North Park Theological Seminary faculty conceived Narthex as a means of discussing current issues within the Evangelical Covenant Church.The editorial board chose an essayist to write on a central topic, and called on responses from Covenant members from all across the United States.
49. Narthex Sparkhill is a charity with its main hub based in St John’s Church, Sparkhill, in south-east Birmingham
50. If you would still like to order there are order forms on Breakfront in Narthex
51. Today in the outer Narthex, some relics (like a copy of Synod Tablets, Porphyr Altar, Snake Patterned Pool, Bell of Hagia Sophia and Sarcophagus of an Empress) from Hagia Sophia church are exhibited
52. Five gates lead into the inner Narthex
53. The little domes of the inner Narthex are covered with mosaics.
54. Narthex was a publication conceived by the faculty of North Park Theological Seminary and debuted in 1981
55. The name ''Narthex'' refers to the lobby space of a church in between the main entrance and the nave where the congregation meets
56. The Narthex was either an external structure similar to a porch or inside as a part of the nave but separated from it by a screen or rail
57. The Narthex was used by catechumens and penitents who were not admitted into the nave
58. Often a baptismal font was also placed in the Narthex.
59. The Narthex is a place of welcome - the gathering space at the main entranced to the church building, just outside the nave
60. Narthex COVID UPDATE!!! Good Evening Ladies and Gentleman, we here at Narthex Wargaming hope you are doing well and taking care on this lovely Monday evening
61. In light of tonights announcements, I wanted to reassure everybody Narthex's plan now going forward up until May when it …
62. It was edited for publication in The Narthex
63. Follow @NarthexNews on Twitter.
64. The days of the creation and the story of Adam and Eve, mosaic in the dome of the western Narthex, St Mark's Basilica, Venice
Definition of narthex. 1 : the portico of an ancient church. 2 : a vestibule leading to the nave of a church.
Synonyms for NARTHEX: galilee, manse, threshold, parlour, porch, pressure group, portal, dormitory, entrance, asafetida, corridor, waiting room, passageway, passage, entry, hallway, mansion, atrium, dorm, narthex, doorways
The plural form of narthex is narthexes or narthices . Find more words! The church is built in the shape of the Latin cross and has three narthexes, dome and colonnade built in its face.