1. The etymology of Mordant certainly has some bite to it
2. That word, which came to modern English through Middle French, ultimately derives from the Latin verb mordēre, which means "to bite." In modern parlance, "Mordant" usually suggests a wit used with deadly effectiveness
Modern, Middle, Mord, Means, Mordant
3. ‘In order to get the color to stick well on the fiber, the wool was usually pretreated with a metal compound called a Mordant; common Mordants, still used in craft dying, are compounds of aluminum, iron, copper, tin, and chromium.’
Metal, Mordant, Mordants
4. Some common synonyms of Mordant are acrid, caustic, and scathing. While all these words mean "stingingly incisive," Mordant suggests a wit that is used with deadly effectiveness
5. Mordant reviews of the play When might acrid be a better fit than Mordant?
6. WHAT IS MordantING? Mordanting is the most important process of preparing fibers to accept color. This is not an optional step but there are many Mordant variations, and indigo as a vat dye does not require a Mordant
Mordanting, Most, Many, Mordant
7. Using a Mordant helps to ensure the most durable and long-lasting colors.
8. To be successful at natural dyeing you need to know a bit about Mordants and fixatives
9. Basically, natural dyes will not adhere to natural fibres without the use of a Mordant or fixative
10. Mordant is defined as a substance that attaches dyes to materials, or a corrosive substance used in etching. An example of a Mordant is tannic acid.
11. A Mordant is a substance useful in microbiology. It is being added to a stain to give color to different kinds of organisms
12. With the use of Mordant in microbiology, organisms are thoroughly and accurately identified
13. The definition of Mordant is a chemical that keeps the dye in place.
14. Rare Collections: Rise of the Crescent — Unlock 16 Mordant skins in your wardrobe by crafting or using the Trading Post
15. Colourfast dyeing usually requires a Mordant
16. Mordants are metallic salts that facilitate the bonding of the dyestuff to the fibre
17. Mordant was a warthog henchman in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Mordant, Mighty, Morphin, Movie
18. To securely attach to fibers, most dyes need chemical help: a mineral salt known as a Mordant, from the Latin word mordere, meaning to bite
Most, Mineral, Mordant, Mordere, Meaning
19. NOT EVEN THE POPE CAN MAINTAIN A MONOPOLY The first step for most natural dyes is a Mordant bath for the fiber
Maintain, Monopoly, Most, Mordant
20. Mordant dyes have little or no affinity for certain substrates and require a Mordant in their application.
21. Mordant Told with great empathy and rich in Mordant humor, it's a beautifully rendered account of strangers united in a struggle to survive
22. A Mordant is a fixative that allows dye molecules to bind to fiber
23. From the Latin word mordere, meaning to bite, a Mordant is a chemical compound that can brighten a …
Mordere, Meaning, Mordant
24. A Mordant is defined as a naturally occurring water soluble metallic salt which creates a bond between the dye and the fiber
25. The word “Mordant” means “to bite” in french.
26. What is a "Mordant" and why use them? Many natural dyes are enhanced by and made more permanent with the use of "Mordants"
Mordant, Many, Made, More, Mordants
27. Mordants are "metallic salts" that are used in natural dyeing to help set the dye pigment and improve color and light fastness
28. PRE-Mordant: This is simply Mordanting before dyeing
29. Alum is the standard Mordant used for this method but other Mordants can also be used to good effect
Mordant, Method, Mordants
30. Several differently-Mordanted fibers can to go in one pot if they have been pre-Mordanted, giving different color results without affecting each other.
31. Mordant dye, colorant that can be bound to a material for which it otherwise has little or no affinity by the addition of a Mordant, a chemical that combines with the dye and the fibre
32. As the principal modern Mordants are dichromates and chromium complexes, Mordant dye usually means chrome dye.
Modern, Mordants, Mordant, Means
33. Mordant (adj.) late 15c., "caustic, biting, severe" (of words, speech), from Old French Mordant, literally "biting," present participle of mordre "to bite," from Latin mordēre "to bite, bite into; nip, sting;" figuratively "to pain, cause hurt," which is perhaps from an extended form of PIE root *mer-"to rub away, harm." Related: Mordantly
Mordant, Mordre, Mord, Mer, Mordantly
34. Mordant definition, sharply caustic or sarcastic, as wit or a speaker; biting
35. Mordant was a pig-like henchman who wears a monocle and a major antagonist in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.Together with Goldar, he defected from Lord Zedd to join Ivan Ooze when the latter imprisoned the former and Rita Repulsa in a snowglobe
Mordant, Monocle, Major, Mighty, Morphin, Movie
36. Other articles where Mordant is discussed: Mordant dye: …by the addition of a Mordant, a chemical that combines with the dye and the fibre
37. As the principal modern Mordants are dichromates and chromium complexes, Mordant dye usually means chrome dye
Modern, Mordants, Mordant, Means
38. Most Mordant dyes yield different colours with different Mordants
Most, Mordant, Mordants
39. Mordant dyes can be used with wool, wool blends,…
40. Mordant: The Power of Nine is a roaring adventure through space, magic, and weaponry
41. Mordant definition: Mordant humour is very critical and often mocks someone or something
42. Mordant procedures for protein and cellulose fibers are not interchangeable
43. Alum – Potassium aluminum sulfate (PAS) is the Mordant most frequently used by dyers for protein (animal) and cellulose (plant) fibers and fabrics
44. What’s a Mordant? Also known as a fixative, a Mordant is a metallic or mineral compound that causes a chemical reaction with the plant dye
Mordant, Metallic, Mineral
45. Mordant adjective Referring to an astringent chemical; caustic, corrosive
46. Mordants Sodium chloride, tannic acid, alum, urine, chrome alum; Bouin’s solution can also be used as a Mordant.
47. A Mordant of blue vitriol is commonly first given, followed by a bath of prussiate of potash
48. Tin is not so useful as a Mordant in itself, but as a modifying agent with other Mordants
Mordant, Modifying, Mordants
49. What are the products of hydrolysis when stannic chloride is used as a Mordant?
50. Synonyms for Mordant in Free Thesaurus
51. 44 synonyms for Mordant: sarcastic, cutting, biting, edged, sharp, acid, harsh, stinging, scathing
52. Mordant adjective Referring to an astringent chemical; caustic, corrosive
53. Mordants Sodium chloride, tannic acid, alum, urine, chrome alum; Bouin’s solution can also be used as a Mordant.
54. Mordant has: An easy, configuration-free, API; Support for nesting styles and colors; Automatic detection of terminal color support; Support for 256 and 24-bit colors, with automatic downsampling; Support for specifying colors in every color space supported by colormath; Usage.
55. Mordant definition: Mordant humour is very critical and often mocks someone or something
56. Iron is the same as copper with its safety depending on how the Mordant is prepared
57. Using an iron sulfite may make a good Mordant, but dying in an iron pan is easier and safer, and will sadden the colors in the same way
May, Make, Mordant
58. It’s always a good idea to Mordant cellulose (plant) fibres before dyeing with them; this will allow the dye to adhere to the fibre
59. This item: Organic Cotton Plus Alum Mordant - Aluminum Sulfate - 1 Pound $9.99
60. You can create an easy iron Mordant solution, or iron liquor, by soaking rusty found objects like nails
61. Examples of Mordant in a sentence
62. The Mordant mother often used harsh words that made her son cry
Mordant, Mother, Made
63. 🔊 When the Mordant president entered the boardroom, all of his vice-presidents readied for his sarcastic attacks.
64. Definition of Mordant (adjective): criticizing in a way that is cruel
65. Definition and synonyms of Mordant from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.
66. This is the British English definition of Mordant.View American English definition of Mordant.
67. English words for Mordant include biting, Mordant, caustic, mordent, cutting, incisive, pungent, trenchant, penetrating and vitriolic
68. Type Axe Strength 857 – 1,048 Set Mordant weapons Skin Mordant Sickle Collection Veilrender Expurgation Rise of the Crescent Prefix Harrier's Rarity Exotic Req
69. Mordant (comparative more Mordant, superlative most Mordant) Having or showing a sharp or critical quality Synonyms: biting, caustic, sarcastic, keen, severe; Serving to fix a dye to a fibre
Mordant, More, Most
70. Definition of Mordant adjective in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary