See also: Matronly Matriarch Matricide Matrimony Matriculation Matriculate Matrics Matra Matriarchy Matricial Matricidal Matrimonio Matrace Matroid Matrona Matrons Matriot Matriarchal Matriarchate Matriarchist Matrices Matriclan Matricule Matrilineal Matriculated
1. Definition of Matronly : having the character of or suitable to a matron Examples of Matronly in a Sentence She feared she was becoming a Matronly old woman.
2. Hera was therefore the goddess who presided over human marriages, and was the type of Matronly virtue and dignity
3. Hurll The two daughters went over to the tea tabouret, where a Matronly …
4. Matronly Mainstream feminists prioritized getting the right to vote in part because they accepted women's separate, Matronly role.
5. In fact, Matronly comes from matron, which today primarily means "female prison warden," but which once meant "married woman," especially one who is respectable, unadventurous, and mature.
Matronly, Matron, Means, Meant, Married, Mature
6. What does Matronly mean? Of, like, characteristic of, or suitable for a matron
Matronly, Mean, Matron
7. The girl was gazing at the two round Matronly figures at the foot of the bed, her laughing eyes grown suddenly serious
8. AND SO THEY WERE MARRIED FLORENCE MORSE KINGSLEY A servant came, who gave me to understand that the Matronly lady was just returned by herself in the chariot
Married, Morse, Me, Matronly
9. Matronly (Adjective) Having the appearance of a mature woman, often of larger physical stature and somewhat unkempt or dowdy
10. Gone is her Matronly gray frizzy hair and those bushy brows, frumpy frock and old lady pearls
11. The image I have of Matronly is a female guard in a 50s B movie about a women’s prison
12. Used to describe large boobs without sexually harassing an employee "You look Matronly in that dress today."
13. When I refer to being concerned that something I wear might look Matronly I am referring to it making me look like I am all boobs and my mid section:) 8 years ago Aziraphale
Might, Matronly, Making, Me, My, Mid
14. Adjective You can use Matronly to describe a woman who is fairly fat and looks middle-aged, especially if you think the clothes she is wearing are not fashionable or attractive.a Matronly woman with an air of authority
15. What is another word for Matronly? Matronly
16. ‘a Matronly floral dress that covered her from neck to ankle’ ‘Nevertheless, her plain delivery stripped of vocal runs, trills and decorations can make her long baroque arias sound staid and Matronly.’ ‘I was beginning to feel rather Matronly, and now I'm back to the weight I've always been.’
17. Mary, a Matronly young blonde, was washing dishes in the little back room that served for kitchen and dining room
18. (Martin Eden, by Jack London) Men are so helpless, Mother, said Amy, with a Matronly air, which delighted her husband
Martin, Men, Mother, Matronly
19. ‘a Matronly floral dress that covered her from neck to ankle’ ‘Nevertheless, her plain delivery stripped of vocal runs, trills and decorations can make her long baroque arias sound staid and Matronly.’ ‘I was beginning to feel rather Matronly, and now I'm back to the weight I've always been.’
20. Step Away From That "Matronly" Skirt - and Link Up Shocking news - some of our over-50s role models have criticized skirts as "Matronly," except when worn in a floaty summer way by young people! Yes, this appalling broadside was delivered by much loved UK style guru Susannah Constantine in her new podcast, My Wardrobe Malfunction.
Matronly, Models, Much, My, Malfunction
21. Matronly meaning, definition, what is Matronly: used to describe a woman who is fairly f: Learn more.
Matronly, Meaning, More
22. Matronly (comparative more Matronly, superlative most Matronly) In the capacity of a matron; serving as a housekeeper or head nurse
Matronly, More, Most, Matron
23. The Matronly woman cared for the sick orphan
24. The Matronly upper arms girls know about life and love and losing Janeane Garofalo
25. Definition of Matronly (adjective): having qualities or appearance of mother
26. Definition and synonyms of Matronly from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.
27. This is the British English definition of Matronly.View American English definition of Matronly.
28. Examples of Matronly in a sentence
29. The more Matronly customers selected long skirts and flats rather than mini-skirts and tall boots
More, Matronly, Mini
30. 🔊 After looking out at the Matronly crowd, the band opted to play a few middle-age hits instead
31. Matronly definition: You can use Matronly to describe a woman who is fairly fat and looks middle-aged, Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples
Matronly, Middle, Meaning
32. Definition of Matronly written for English Language Learners from the Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary with audio pronunciations, usage examples, and count/noncount noun labels.
33. The Matronly woman next to me, outfitted in pearls and a proper bourgeois dress, shouted "Stupid!" and "Thick!" and "Thick!" amid a chorus of whistling and laughter as the words SAVE OUR SOULS were spelled out in white rags like monumental hankies affixed to the back wall of the stage.
Matronly, Me, Monumental
34. See authoritative translations of Matronly in Spanish with example sentences and audio pronunciations.
35. Matronly Meaning: "characteristic of or suitable to a matron," 1650s, from matron + -ly (2)
Matronly, Meaning, Matron
36. An… See definitions of Matronly.
37. Transition from maidenhood to what is called the Matronly had been too rapid; it was emphasised by her costume, which cried aloud in its excess of modish splendour.
Maidenhood, Matronly, Modish
38. The soft-eyed dame could scarcely be called a Matronly personage.
39. Synonyms for Matronly in Free Thesaurus
40. 2 words related to Matronly: womanly, feminine
41. What are synonyms for Matronly?
42. Discover mother-of-the-bride dresses—and mother-of-the-groom dresses—that are anything but Matronly
Mother, Mdash, Matronly
43. Her older sister, Margaret, was Matronly and dignified, probably from having assumed Matronly and housewifely responsibilities too early in life, their mother having died when they were quite young, Margaret was not effusive; she was practical.
Margaret, Matronly, Mother
44. What's the definition of Matronly in thesaurus? Most related words/phrases with sentence examples define Matronly meaning and usage.
Matronly, Most, Meaning
45. Mary, a Matronly young blonde, was washing dishes in the little back room that served for kitchen and dining room
46. Rochester in her behalf; but, hard-favoured and Matronly …
47. Matronly by Fake Limbs, released 14 October 2016 1
48. Matronly - WordReference English dictionary, questions, discussion and forums
49. Matronly old-fashioned young woman in high headdress and small baskets old military gentleman with the suit in 1762 after HoraceVernet of burning Sitting in a high-backed wicker chair, film star Ingrid Bergman wearing a Matronly print top with long sleeves and sporting a short hairstyle for her
50. A Matronly head appeared around a door
51. Her Matronly fame was trodden under all men 's feet
52. Above the bed in his tiny, cigarette-strewn hotel room hangs a framed photo of him and the Matronly
53. Matronly adj adjective: Describes a noun or pronoun--for example, "a tall girl," "an interesting book," "a big house." (like an older woman) como una vieja loc adj locución adjetiva: Unidad léxica estable formada de dos o más palabras que funciona como adjetivo ("de fácil manejo", "a contraluz", "de fiar").
54. Matronly describes an overall head-to-toe vibe of nonsexuality and lack of body awareness
55. While a haircut can be described as too Matronly for a particular woman, a haircut alone does not make a woman Matronly
56. Find the perfect Matronly stock photo
57. Top synonyms for Matronly (other words for Matronly) are feminine, womanly and female.
58. Antonyms for Matronly include thin, unfeminine, unwomanly and masculine
By definition, matronly has always signified an overweight, busty woman with a poorly identified waist and no sense of style. The thin counterpart would be described as plain Jane, but not matronly. Yes--you've got it. Large bust with thick waist is the essence of the matronly build.
Synonyms for matronly include full-figured, plump, portly, stout, well-rounded, womanly, dignified, female, honorable and honourable. Find more similar words at ...
Wiktionary (0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition: