1. The Latin adjective desultorius, the parent of Desultory, was used by the ancients to refer to a circus performer (called a desultor) whose trick was to leap from horse to horse without stopping
Desultorius, Desultory, Desultor
2. It makes sense, therefore, that someone or something Desultory …
3. Desultory definition, lacking in consistency, constancy, or visible order, disconnected; fitful: Desultory conversation
Desultory, Definition, Disconnected
4. Desultory synonyms, Desultory pronunciation, Desultory translation, English dictionary definition of Desultory
Desultory, Dictionary, Definition
5. ə l.tɔːr.i / without a clear plan or purpose and showing little effort or interest: She made a Desultory attempt at conversation
6. He wandered around, cleaning up in a Desultory way.
7. If you lack a definite plan or purpose and flit from one thing to another, your actions are Desultory. Some people call such Desultory wanderings spontaneous
8. Others call it "being lost." The adjective Desultory comes from the word desultor, which was a circus rider who would leap from the back of one galloping horse onto another.
9. 21 synonyms of Desultory from the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, plus 36 related words, definitions, and antonyms
10. Find another word for Desultory
11. Desultory: lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern.
12. Dĕs'əl-tôr'ē, dĕz'- The definition of Desultory is something, someone or a conversation with no plan or purpose that wanders from one thing to the next
13. An example of Desultory is wandering around and not knowing where you are going
14. An example of Desultory is a conversation that doesn't flow well.
15. A Desultory conversation on politics, in which neither took the slightest interest, was a safe neutral ground
16. THE PIT TOWN CORONET, VOLUME I (OF 3) CHARLES JAMES WILLS In the lulls, Robert and his mother exchanged bits of Desultory conversation
17. Desultory (adj.) 1580s, "skipping about, jumping, flitting" in a figurative sense, from Latin desultorius "hasty, casual, superficial," adjective form of desultor (n.) "a rider in the circus who jumps from one horse to another while they are in gallop," from desul-, stem of desilire "jump down," from de "down" (see de-) + salire "to jump, leap" (see salient (adj.)).
Desultory, Desultorius, Desultor, Desul, Desilire, Down, De
18. Definition of Desultory not having a plan or purpose Examples of Desultory in a sentence Disgusted by his last place finish, the runner moved in a Desultory manner towards the yellow ribbon
Definition, Desultory, Disgusted
19. Desultory was part of the first wave of Swedish death metal bands, alongside Entombed, Dismember, and others
Desultory, Death, Dismember
20. Moving or jumping from one thing to another; disconnected: "She had suddenly begun speaking, after sitting silently through several hours of Desultory discussion about the Resistance" (Adam Nossiter)
Disconnected, Desultory, Discussion
21. ‘Their Desultory and often painfully facetious conversations are interspersed with picture-postcard vignettes in which presenter and guest savour the delights of holiday life in the capital.’ ‘Then with dawning horror you realise you're screwed - eye contact is made and you're doomed to Desultory, banal small talk the whole way until you
Desultory, Delights, Dawning, Doomed
22. Adjective Something that is Desultory is done in an unplanned and disorganized way, and without enthusiasm.
Desultory, Done, Disorganized
23. A Desultory sequence of ideas, an excessive vagueness and indirectness of expression, a peculiar and abnormal latinity, a constant tendency to exaggeration, and an immoderate indulgence in learned and literary allusions - all these are obstacles lying in the way of a study of Propertius.
24. (formal) going from one thing to another, without a definite plan and without enthusiasm I wandered about in a Desultory fashion.
25. After fulfilling their 3-album deal Desultory left Metal Blade Records and ultimately broke-up soon thereafter.
26. Vanessa Paradis' new film is a Desultory and pretentious exercise in existential noodling which aims for profound but winds up plain peculiar
27. Dazed and confused; MOVIES I've never attached much credence to Desultory applause that players offer, either after a game or when they're substituted
28. Definition of Desultory in the Definitions.net dictionary
Definition, Desultory, Definitions, Dictionary
29. What does Desultory mean? Information and translations of Desultory in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web.
Does, Desultory, Dictionary, Definitions
30. Yet, as the whole has been cited, and made the basis of Desultory declamation, I thought it not time lost to clear out of the way all irrelevant matter, and to leave for distinct examination the only sentence of this paragraph in which the insult lurks, if it has any existence in this letter.
Desultory, Declamation, Distinct
31. She made a Desultory attempt at conversation
32. They talked briefly in a Desultory manner
33. He wandered around, clearing up in a Desultory way
34. I wandered about in a Desultory fashion
35. But despite his forced jocularity, Desultory attempts at humour, and spurts of nervous energy, Obree is a husk of heroism past
36. Opening night saw a Desultory 20 people rattling around in a big, airy room ready for 70 diners
37. Clashes and Desultory fighting continued in Samarra north of Baghdad between US forces and Sunni Arab guerrillas.: But despite his forced jocularity, Desultory attempts at humour, and spurts of nervous energy, Obree is a husk of heroism past
38. Opening night saw a Desultory 20 people rattling around in a big, airy room ready for 70 diners.: The
39. Desultory is a Swedish death metal band that released a series of albums in the mid-'90s, beginning with their 1993 debut, Into Eternity
Desultory, Death, Debut
40. Explore releases from Desultory at Discogs
41. Shop for Vinyl, CDs and more from Desultory at the Discogs Marketplace.
42. Break 'Desultory' down into sounds: [DES] + [UHL] + [TREE] - say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them
Desultory, Down, Des
43. Record yourself saying 'Desultory' in full sentences, then watch yourself and listen
44. Look up tutorials on Youtube on how to pronounce 'Desultory'.
45. See authoritative translations of Desultory in Spanish with example sentences and audio pronunciations.
46. For more info: http://www.myspace.com/Desultoryofficial
47. “Desultory” first appeared in print in English in the late 16th century with the same “hopping from thing to thing” meaning it has today (“The Crown, since the Conquest, never observed a regular, but an uncertain and Desultory motion,” 1655)
48. The root of “Desultory” was the Latin adjective “desultorius,” an adjective based
49. Dictionary entry overview: What does Desultory mean? • Desultory (adjective) The adjective Desultory has 1 sense:
Dictionary, Does, Desultory
50. Marked by lack of definite plan or regularity or purpose; jumping from one thing to another Familiarity information: Desultory used as an adjective is very rare.
51. From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Desultory des‧ul‧to‧ry / ˈdes ə lt ə ri, ˈdez-$ -tɔːri / adjective formal PLAN# done without any particular plan or purpose They talked briefly in a Desultory manner
Dictionary, Desultory, Des, Dez, Done
52. — desultorily / ˈdes ə lt ə rəli, ˈdez-$ -tɔːrəli / adverb Examples from the Corpus Desultory • …
Desultorily, Des, Dez, Desultory
53. Desultory - Translation to Spanish, pronunciation, and forum discussions
54. Principal Translations: Inglés: Español: Desultory adj adjective: Describes a noun or pronoun--for example, "a tall girl," "an interesting book," "a big house." (random) esporádico/a adj adjetivo: Describe el sustantivo.Puede ser posesivo, numeral, demostrativo ("casa grande", "mujer alta").
Desultory, Describes, Dico, Describe, Demostrativo
55. Desultory is a Death Metal band formed in 1989 in Stockholm, Sweden
56. Desultory was part of the first wave of Swedish death metal bands, alongside Nihilist, Grave, Dismember and many others
Desultory, Death, Dismember
57. Synonyms for Desultory include random, erratic, haphazard, aimless, rambling, inconsistent, irregular, unmethodical, unsystematic and chaotic
58. Desultory discography and songs: Music profile for Desultory, formed 1989
59. The Desultory fighting took place amid a rainstorm, and only ended in the afternoon when the hard-pressed Thais received orders to lay down their arms
60. A Simple Desultory Philippic Lyrics: Spoken: "A Simple Desultory Philippic Or How I was Lyndon Johnson’d Into Submission" / I was Union Jacked, Kerouac'd / John Birched, stopped and searched
61. Desultory - Dictionary definition and meaning for word Desultory
Desultory, Dictionary, Definition
62. Desultory thoughts the Desultory conversation characteristic of cocktail parties
63. Desultory Meaning in English to Urdu is بے فائدہ, as written in Urdu and Bay Faida, as written in Roman Urdu
64. There are many synonyms of Desultory which include Aimless, Chance, Chaotic, Deviating, Erratic, Haphazard, Orderless, Rambling, Unmethodical, Unstable, Unsystematic, Without Purpose, etc.
65. Marked by lack of definite plan or regularity or purpose; jumping from one thing to another "Desultory thoughts"; "the Desultory conversation characteristic of cocktail parties" 以上 …
66. Definition and synonyms of Desultory from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.
Definition, Desultory, Dictionary
67. This is the British English definition of Desultory.View American English definition of Desultory.
68. Get the Desultory neck gaiter and mug
69. Desultory adj adjective: Describes a noun or pronoun--for example, "a tall girl," "an interesting book," "a big house." (random) décousu adj adjectif: modifie un nom
History and Etymology for desultory. Latin desultorius, literally, of a circus rider who leaps from horse to horse, from desilire to leap down, from de-+ salire to leap - more at sally
1 passing or jumping from one thing to another, esp. in a fitful way; unmethodical; disconnected 2 occurring in a random or incidental way; haphazard
Desultory in a sentence (esp. good sentence like quote, proverb...) (1) She made a desultory attempt at conversation. (2) They talked briefly in a desultory manner. (3) He wandered around, clearing up in a desultory way. (4) I wandered about in a desultory fashion.