1. Ctenoid definition is - having the margin toothed; also : having or consisting of Ctenoid scales
2. How to use Ctenoid in a sentence.
3. First recorded in 1830–40, Ctenoid is from the Greek word ktenoeidḗs like a comb.
4. Ctenoid synonyms, Ctenoid pronunciation, Ctenoid translation, English dictionary definition of Ctenoid
5. The "Ctenoid" family Sign up now (it’s free!) Whether you’re a teacher or a learner, Vocabulary.com can put you or your class on the path to systematic vocabulary improvement.
Ctenoid, Com, Can, Class
6. Definition of Ctenoid in the Definitions.net dictionary
7. What does Ctenoid mean? Information and translations of Ctenoid in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web.
8. Ctenoid scales are scales with comb-like edge found in higher order teleost fishes, such as perch and sunfish. Cteni are the tiny teeth on the posterior margin of the scale
Ctenoid, Comb, Cteni
9. In scale, carp) or Ctenoid scales (e.g., perch; sunfish)
10. Ctenoid in American English (ˈtɛnˌɔɪd ; ˈtiˌnɔɪd)
11. Compare with ganoid and placoid ‘The body is covered with small Ctenoid scales that extend well onto the dorsal and anal fins.’
Compare, Covered, Ctenoid
12. Ctenoid (comparative more Ctenoid, superlative most Ctenoid) Having a toothed margin, usually fish scales Comb -like in shape.
Ctenoid, Comparative, Comb
13. Ctenoid (toothed) scales are like cycloid scales, except they have small teeth or spinules called ctenii along their outer or posterior edges
Ctenoid, Cycloid, Called, Ctenii
14. How to say Ctenoid in English? Pronunciation of Ctenoid with 1 audio pronunciation, 3 synonyms and more for Ctenoid.
15. Ctenoid scale In bony fish, a type of scale that has many tiny, tooth-like processes (ctenii) in the posterior, or outer segment
16. Source for information on Ctenoid scale: A Dictionary of Zoology dictionary.
17. Ctenoid Scale a variety of bony scale in bony fishes; the posterior margin of the scale bears a comb of small teeth or spines
18. Ctenoid scales are typical chiefly for higher bony fishes, such as the Perciformes, but they also occur in fishes of a lower organizational level …
19. Ctenoid scales have a variously developed spiny posterior margin (the word 'Ctenoid' comes from the Greek cteno, meaning comb, and refers to the comb-like ctenii on the margin of the scale).
Ctenoid, Comes, Cteno, Comb, Ctenii
20. Many authors feel that lumping all scales with a spiny posterior margin under the term 'Ctenoid' is an oversimplification.
21. Ctenoid Fish Scales Derived from the Greek word cteno, meaning "comb", the Ctenoid fish scale name refers to comb-like ctenii, which decorate the edges of the scale, as illustrated in the MIC-D digital image presented below
Ctenoid, Cteno, Comb, Ctenii
22. The spiny posterior margin of Ctenoid scales has a wide variety of morphologies
23. View a second image of the Ctenoid scale.
24. Ctenoid - Means "resembling a thin-toothed comb"—like the scales of some fish.
25. Bony ridge scales are divided into cycloid and Ctenoid based on the thorns
26. Ctenoid Fish Scales Derived from the Greek word cteno, meaning "comb", the Ctenoid fish scale name refers to comb-like ctenii, which decorate the edges of the scale, as illustrated in the relatively low magnification MIC-D digital image presented below
Ctenoid, Cteno, Comb, Ctenii
27. The spiny posterior margin of Ctenoid scales has a wide variety of morphologies.
28. Dictionary entry overview: What does Ctenoid mean? • Ctenoid (adjective) The adjective Ctenoid has 1 sense:
29. Resembling a comb; having projections like the teeth of a comb Familiarity information: Ctenoid used as an adjective is very rare.
30. Elasmoid, Ctenoid and Cycloid Scales
31. It is often described as coming in two forms: ‘Ctenoid’, which have a set of fine teeth along the posterior edge and ‘Cycloid’, which are simply rounded on the outer/posterior edge.
Coming, Ctenoid, Cycloid
32. Ctenoid Scales: The Ctenoid scales are also circular and can be distinguished from the cycloid scales by having a more or less serrated free edge
Ctenoid, Circular, Can, Cycloid
33. Examples of how to use “Ctenoid scale” in a sentence from the Cambridge Dictionary Labs
34. Ctenoid test dysz dari in Kampfesstimmung sein prepisati abeyance verschnaufte formal aspect Waltzer polityka linka Embargoes segment de fixare magnetic disk at, by certain to win he numbers fourscore years prerogative fried ham with sauce Seats slacking thither (adv.) doba oversubtle correctly selai awaiting-repair time Fixiermittel (u.E.) (S
Ctenoid, Certain, Correctly
35. Ctenoid 10 is a valid Scrabble Word in NWL, formerly TWL (USA, Thailand, Canada) Ctenoid 10 is a valid Scrabble Word in CSW, formerly SOWPODS (Other Countries) Ctenoid 12 is a valid word in WWF
Ctenoid, Canada, Csw, Countries
36. Definitions for the word, Ctenoid (a.) Having a comblike margin, as a Ctenoid …
37. Ctenoid - find the meaning, anagrams and hook words with Ctenoid and much more
38. The word Ctenoid uses 7 letters: c, d, e, i, n, o, t
39. Ctenoid is playable in: Words With Friends 12
40. - Having a comblike margin, as a Ctenoid scale
41. Ctenoid Total Number of words made out of Ctenoid = 109 Ctenoid is an acceptable word in Scrabble with 10 points.Ctenoid is an accepted word in Word with Friends having 12 points
42. Ctenoid is a 7 letter medium Word starting with C and ending with D
43. Pirate perch is a stout, dark-colored fish, with a single dorsal fin and Ctenoid scales on the head and body.
44. I tried to follow Agassiz's scheme of division into the order of Ctenoid s and ganoids, with the result that I found one of my species of side-swimmers had cycloid scales on one side and Ctenoid on the other.
45. Words created with Ctenoid, words starting with Ctenoid, words start Ctenoid
46. The primary categories of fish scales are placoid, cosmoid, ganoid, cycloid and Ctenoid scales
Categories, Cosmoid, Cycloid, Ctenoid
47. Like the sunfishes, the perches have Ctenoid scales, which make the fish feel rough
48. Ctenoid ~fish scale type that have a variously developed spiny posterior margin ~consist of two main regions, a surface 'bony' layer, composed of an organic framework impregnated largely with calcium based salts, and a deeper fibrous layer composed mainly of collagen
Ctenoid, Consist, Composed, Calcium, Collagen
49. 1 synonym for Ctenoid: comb-like
50. Scales are Ctenoid and the number of scales on the lateral line ranges from 49 to 53 (Hubbs et al
51. Ctenoid: These scales are thin and round and rimmed with an outer edge of teeth
52. Ctenoid scales are scales with comb-like edge found in higher order teleost fishes, such as perch and sunfish
CTENOID [ˈtēˌnoid, ˈteˌnoid]
Definition of ctenoid. : having the margin toothed ctenoid scale also : having or consisting of ctenoid scales ctenoid fishes.
Adjective [ edit ] ctenoid (comparative more ctenoid, superlative most ctenoid) Having a toothed margin, usually fish scales Comb -like in shape.
Retrieved from https://www.yourdictionary.com/CTENOID Relating to or being a kind of fish scale that has marginal projections resembling the teeth of a comb. THE AMERICAN HERITAGE® DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, FIFTH EDITION by the Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries.
Ctenoid scales, similar to other epidermal structures, originate from placodes and distinctive cellular differentiation makes them exclusive from other structures that arise from the integument. Development starts near the caudal fin, along the lateral line of the fish.