chthonic (adjective) · chthonian (adjective)
See also: Chthonic
1. Chthonic might seem a lofty and learned word, but it's actually pretty down-to-earth in its origin and meaning
2. Relating to or living in the underworld (= the place in ancient stories where the spirits of the dead go): In older Greek and Hellenistic cults, the snake was worshiped as a symbol of the Chthonic deity.
3. Chthonic, of or relating to earth, particularly the Underworld
4. Chthonic figures in Greek mythology included Hades and Persephone, the rulers of the Underworld, and the various heroes venerated after death; even Zeus, the king of the sky, had earthly associations and was venerated as Zeus Chthonius.
5. Chthonic (2008) 12min Short, Drama A visual moving image sculpture of Man as he sets out in search of his purpose and place within the American Ideal.
6. Chthonic deities In classical mythology, the dreaded deities of the underworld, who are so feared that they usually are nameless and are called only by euphemisms
7. Chthonic deities originally were ancestral spirits who represented the ghosts of the dead.
8. Also called Chthonic(pronounced [thon-ick], an adjective that means "pertaining to deities, spirits or creatures that dwell in the underworld")
9. Chthonic (not generally comparable, comparative more Chthonic, superlative most Chthonic) Dwelling within or under the earth
10. [from late 18th c.] quotations ▼ The young pantheon had remanded their elders to the role of smouldering, Chthonic gods; to inhabiting dark, deep places, hidden from mortal eyes and influence.
11. While terms such as "Earth deity" have rather sweeping implications in English, the words khthonie and khthonios had a more precise and technical meaning in Greek, referring primarily to the manner of offering sacrifices to the deity in question.Some Chthonic cults practised ritual sacrifice, which often happened at night time.
12. Chthonic will play EU & JP festivals in 2012 summer:July 14: Rock Harz Open Air (DE) July 20: Devil Size Festival (DE) July 21: Aschaffenburg (DE) July
13. What is the story of this video? Watch behind the scene of this video: http://youtu.be/b81Ql9eipSs Chthonic's 2013 New Album " Bú-Tik " will be released on
14. Chthonic released their first single, "Deep Rising" b/w "F--- or Die," in 1998, and their first full-length album, Where the Ancestors' Souls Gather, followed in 1999
15. Definition of Chthonic in the Definitions.net dictionary
16. What does Chthonic mean? Information and translations of Chthonic in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web.
17. One of the few rock bands from Taiwan to gain exposure in North America, Chthonic are a melodic death metal group whose music employs elements of traditional Taiwanese music (including the use of the hena, an Asian instrument similar to the Western violin) and who frequently incorporate lore from their nation's history into their lyrics.
18. ‘Hicks's subjects - people, animals and a Chthonic hybrid of the two - are classical, weighty and strong, and she has a deft touch with her materials.’ ‘Rather, it is a kind of mythical or ur-nature, one associated with a primordial existence, Chthonic gods and the enigmatic and destructive figure of the sphinx.’
19. Chthonic Coin Purse is a Keepsake obtained by giving Hypnos a gift of Nectar in the House of Hades
20. Chthonic is a Taiwanese symphonic black metal band formed in 1995
21. "Chthonic" is derived from the Greek god of the underworld with the phonetic translation into Mandarin as Shan-ling
22. ‘Hicks's subjects - people, animals and a Chthonic hybrid of the two - are classical, weighty and strong, and she has a deft touch with her materials.’ ‘Rather, it is a kind of mythical or ur-nature, one associated with a primordial existence, Chthonic gods and the enigmatic and destructive figure of the sphinx.’
23. Obtaining Chthonic Keys [edit edit source]
24. Chthonic Keys can be received as a room clear reward, from Charon's shop, from the Fated List of Minor Prophecies, from the Wretched Broker, or from Fishing.; With the Fated Keys upgrade from the House Contractor, Chthonic Keys will also give +1 Fated Authority or +1 Fated Persuasion (i.e
25. Chthonic Taiwanese black metal band acid washed shirt cotton size Small one of a kind band reverse tie dye on up-cycled tee Acidheroez
26. Find 17 ways to say Chthonic, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
27. Synonyms for Chthonic in Free Thesaurus
28. 2 synonyms for Chthonic: chthonian, nether
29. What are synonyms for Chthonic?
30. Chthonic definition: → chthonian Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples
31. Chthonic is a melodic black metal symphonic black metal music artist
32. This page includes Chthonic's : biography, official website, pictures, videos from YouTube, related forum topics, shouts, news, tour dates and events, live eBay auctions, online shopping sites, detailled reviews and ratings and the full discography of albums: studios, live, compilations (boxset), EPs on CD, Vinyl / LP or
33. How to say Chthonic in English? Pronunciation of Chthonic with 2 audio pronunciations, 1 meaning, 5 translations and more for Chthonic.
34. Pandemonium - Best Of … Chthonic
35. Nevertheless the idea has tapped into a latent, even Chthonic passion for spelling words and 100,000 children applied to take part.: In all their dark glamor, they evoke the global workings of industry, awful and Chthonic.: The totality of Chthonic tradition could thus serve the goal of human dignity as effectively as a western code of human rights.: Since both Hecate and dogs were commonly
36. "Chthonic" Two of the sculptures on the MSU mall are the works of Arnoldus Grüter, an artist-in-residence at MSU
37. The black sculpture is titled "Chthonic" was carved on site by the artist from a single block of poured polyurethane foam
38. "Chthonic" was the first sculpture placed on the new mall.
39. Chthonic is a melodic black metal band
40. High quality Chthonic gifts and merchandise
41. Chthonic, which is a form of khthonie and khthonios, has a precise technical meaning in Greek, referring primarily to the manner and method of offering sacrifices to specific deity(ies)
42. Some Chthonic cults practised ritual sacrifice, which often happened at night.When the sacrifice was a living creature, the animal was placed in a bothros (βόθρος
43. Chthonic (adj.) "of or pertaining to the under world," 1882, with -ic + Latinized form of Greek khthonios "of the earth, in the earth," from khthōn "the earth, solid surface …
44. But it wasn't until 2006 that Chthonic issued their first proper U.S
45. Media in category "Chthonic" The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
Chthonic ( / ˈθɒnɪk /, UK also / ˈkθɒn -/; from Ancient Greek: χθόνιος, romanized : khthónios [kʰtʰónios], "in, under, or beneath the earth", from χθών khthōn "earth") literally means "subterranean", but the word in English describes deities or spirits of the underworld, especially in the Ancient Greek religion.
Chthonic, a form of khthonie and khthonios, has a precise meaning in Greek; it refers primarily to the manner and method of offering sacrifices to a specific deity or deities, generally referred to as chthonic or chthonian deities. These include, but are perhaps not strictly limited to, Persephone and Hades in classical mythology .
Chthonic law. Jump to navigation Jump to search. Chthonic law is defined as a system of law centered on the sacred character of the cosmos. According to Professor H. Patrick Glenn, the Chthonic legal tradition emerged through experience, orality and memory.