1. English Language Learners Definition of Bumptious disapproving : proud or confident in a loud and rude way that annoys other people See the full definition for Bumptious in …
2. Bumptious is recorded in the late 1790s and is a blend of bump and fractious, meaning “unruly” or “irritable.” Bumptious bumps fractious up to the next level, meaning “offensively self-assertive.” Many …
Bumptious, Blend, Bump, Bumps
3. Bumptious: having a feeling of superiority that shows itself in an overbearing attitude
4. Bumptious His critics have depicted him as a Bumptious, privately-educated son of privilege
5. The definition of Bumptious is someone who is proud or self-assertive in an obnoxious or irritating way
6. Someone who dominates a conversation without listening to others is Bumptious. Someone who takes more than their fair share of something is Bumptious. To be Bumptious is to be selfish and annoying. Bumptious people are often arrogant and usually thoughtless, and Bumptious …
7. Boastful He was confident, not boastful. Bumptious His critics have depicted him as a Bumptious, privately-educated son of privilege
8. Find 13 ways to say Bumptious, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
9. Bumptious (adj.) "offensively assertive," 1803, probably a humorous slang coinage from bump on the pattern of fractious, etc
10. Related: Bumptiously; Bumptiousness.
11. On this page you will find the solution to Bumptious crossword clue crossword clue
12. Synonyms for Bumptious include arrogant, cocky, presumptuous, self-assertive, swaggering, conceited, egotistic, forward, opinionated and overbearing
13. Bumptious The description of a person (usually of the opposite sex) who has an overly exaggerated posterior or booty
14. We play New York Times Crossword everyday and when we finish it we publish the answers on … Continue reading Bumptious …
15. He's Bumptiously asserted the figures are "untrustworthy", "rigged by Westminster", "literally made up" and "nonsense"
16. Definition of Bumptious confident in an annoying manner Examples of Bumptious in a sentence While Rick is very intelligent, he would be more likable if he were not so Bumptious about his educational background
Bumptious, Be, Background
17. Bumptious (comparative more Bumptious, superlative most Bumptious) Obtrusively pushy; self-assertive to a pretentious extreme
18. 'Bumptious' - about it, because his own red hair was very plainly to be seen behind
Bumptious, Because, Be, Behind
19. David Copperfield 'Bumptious' - about it, because his own red hair was very plainly to be seen behind
Bumptious, Because, Be, Behind
20. David Copperfield "Yes, sir," I returned proudly, for the word "Bumptious" had a ring of importance in it, and I had every reason to believe that the Malcolms were persons of quite large importance.
21. If you say that someone is Bumptious, you are criticizing them because they are very pleased with themselves and their opinions.
22. (4) And even if Mozart was an often Bumptious prankster, I cannot buy Shaffer's unhinged buffoon, especially when Michael Sheen, camping sky-high, is disgraceful in the early clownish sequences and creepy in the later pathetic ones.
Bumptious, Buy, Buffoon
23. Bump‧tious /ˈbʌmpʃəs/ adjective too proud of your abilities in a way that annoys other people SYN arrogant —Bumptiously adverb —Bumptiousness noun [ uncountable] Examples from the Corpus Bumptious • She had been out with a young lawyer once, a Bumptious and ambitious man, and a …
Bump, Bumptiously, Bumptiousness, Bumptious, Been
24. Bumptious 'Bumptious' is a 9 letter word starting with B and ending with S Synonyms, crossword answers and other related words for Bumptious We hope that the following list of synonyms for the word Bumptious will help you to finish your crossword today
25. Find more ways to say Bumptious, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
26. Definition of Bumptious adjective in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
27. This Bumptious charlatan then presumes to lecture others on issues of morality and governance
28. Personally I deal with Bumptious chuckleheads with attitudes like this every day
29. In fact, they seem determined to recreate the bawdy, Bumptious atmosphere of a redneck boozer.
Bawdy, Bumptious, Boozer
30. (4) And even if Mozart was an often Bumptious prankster, I cannot buy Shaffer's unhinged buffoon, especially when Michael Sheen, camping sky-high, is disgraceful in the early clownish sequences and creepy in the later pathetic ones.
Bumptious, Buy, Buffoon
31. Dictionary entry overview: What does Bumptious mean? • Bumptious (adjective) The adjective Bumptious has 1 sense:
32. Offensively self-assertive Familiarity information: Bumptious used as an adjective is very rare.
33. Bumptious - WordReference English dictionary, questions, discussion and forums
34. Break 'Bumptious' down into sounds: [BUMP] + [SHUHS] - say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them
Break, Bumptious, Bump
35. Record yourself saying 'Bumptious' in full sentences, then watch yourself and listen
36. Look up tutorials on Youtube on how to pronounce 'Bumptious'.
37. See authoritative translations of Bumptious in Spanish with example sentences and audio pronunciations.
38. Synonyms for Bumptious in Free Thesaurus
39. 19 synonyms for Bumptious: cocky, forward, arrogant, brash, swaggering, vaunting, pushy, conceited
40. At times the orchestra 's Bumptious brass swallowed the performers whole, while vocal tone flattened into cardboard if they sang on the move
41. Times, Sunday Times (2014) Bumptious, opinionated, insatiably inquisitive, she was just the kind of sheila he'd normally avoid like a swarm of blowies
42. Bumptious definition: If you say that someone is Bumptious , you are criticizing them because they are very Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples
43. Definition of Bumptious written for English Language Learners from the Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary with audio pronunciations, usage examples, and count/noncount noun labels.
44. Definition and synonyms of Bumptious from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.
45. This is the British English definition of Bumptious.View American English definition of Bumptious.
46. What does Bumptiousness mean? The state of being Bumptious; conceitedness
Bumptiousness, Being, Bumptious
47. (noun) The woman would be quite likable sans Bumptiousness.
48. Synonyms for 'Bumptious': arrogant, proud, conceited, immodest, superior, vain, egocentric, patronizing, big-headed, loud, arch
49. She was clearly embarrassed at times by Durkin's Bumptious behaviour
By, Bumptious, Behaviour
50. Or bummed out, or bumped off, or some Bumptious buckaroo had burst your bubble
Bummed, Bumped, Bumptious, Buckaroo, Burst, Bubble
51. Some of these secular priests were ignorant, Bumptious
52. Bumptious - Translation to Spanish, pronunciation, and forum discussions
53. Principal Translations: Inglés: Español: Bumptious adj adjective: Describes a noun or pronoun--for example, "a tall girl," "an interesting book," "a big house." (overly assertive) presuntuoso/a, engreído/a, vanidoso/a adj adjetivo: Describe el sustantivo.Puede ser posesivo, numeral, demostrativo ("casa grande", "mujer
Bumptious, Book, Big
54. Word Scramble - English word Bumptious: words that start with Bumptious, words that end with Bumptious, anagrams of Bumptious, how to spell Bumptious!, Words with Friends, Scrabble
55. Bumptious definition: offensively self-assertive synonyms: forward, self-assertive antonyms: backward, timid, regressive
56. Translation for 'Bumptious' in the free English-Spanish dictionary and many other Spanish translations.
57. We found 32 dictionaries with English definitions that include the word Bumptious: Click on the first link on a line below to go directly to a page where "Bumptious" is defined
58. General (29 matching dictionaries) Bumptious: Merriam-Webster.com [home, info]
59. Bumptious Total Number of words made out of Bumptious = 161 Bumptious is an acceptable word in Scrabble with 15 points.Bumptious is an accepted word in Word with Friends having 20 points
60. Bumptious is a 9 letter long Word starting with B and ending with S
61. 7 letter Words made out of Bumptious
62. What are another words for Bumptious? Arrogant, self-assertive, conceited
63. Full list of synonyms for Bumptious is here.
64. Bumptious has also appeared in 0 other occasions according to our records
65. The famous detective, Griffith Grafton, is pointed out to our ever-ambitious friend Bumptious, and when he learns of the disappearance of a young lady from her boarding house, he decides that he can become a second Griffith Grafton
Bumptious, Boarding, Become
Bumptious: having a feeling of superiority that shows itself in an overbearing attitude. Synonyms: arrogant, assumptive, cavalier… Antonyms: humble, lowly, modest…
Crudely or loudly assertive; pushy. [Perhaps blend of bump and presumptuous .] bump′tious·ness n. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved. offensively self-assertive.
Example Sentences Learn More about bumptious How Should You Use bumptious? Etymologists believe that bumptious was probably coined, perhaps playfully, from the noun bump plus -tious. (Think of the obtrusive way an overly assertive person might "bump" through a crowd.) When bumptious was first used around 1800, it meant "conceited."
The magazine hailed her as the top movie star who brought about a startling change from the run of smoky film sirens and bumptious cuties. This example is from Wikipedia and may be reused under a CC BY-SA license. Bland was unconvinced by democracy and described it as bumptious, unidealistic, disloyal anti-national and vulgar.