baksheesh (noun) · backsheesh (noun)
See also: Baksheesh
1. Etymologically speaking, "Baksheesh" is from Persian "bakhshīsh," which is also the source of the word buckshee, meaning "something extra obtained free," "extra rations," or "windfall, gratuity." "Buckshee" is strictly a British English term and is not used in American English
2. Word Origin for Baksheesh C17: from Persian bakhshīsh, from bakhshīdan to give; related to Sanskrit bhaksati he enjoys Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William …
3. What does Baksheesh mean? A gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service, especially in the Near East
4. Synonyms: kickbacks, Baksheesh(tips), payola, hush money, sweetener, protection money, boodle, and gratuity.
5. Pl. Baksheesh A gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service, especially in the Near East
6. The definition of Baksheesh is “a small sum of money given as a tip, bribe, or charitable donation”. So as you can see, Baksheesh can mean many things
7. Baksheesh is a term which comes from a Persian word meaning “present.” In Middle and Near Eastern countries, it is an integral part of daily life
8. A gratuity or “Baksheesh” is a way of saying thank you for all types of services
9. Basically, there are three kinds of Baksheesh
10. The first is Baksheesh as "alms giving." One of the 5 tenants of Islam is the giving of alms to the poor
11. ‘By the time we finished, a small group of children had gathered around our car and they called out in Arabic, ‘Baksheesh! Baksheesh!’’ ‘In the old days the uncertainty provided a lucrative source of supplemental income for town-hall bureaucrats who would tip you the wink for a little discreet Baksheesh.’
12. Baksheesh synonyms, Baksheesh pronunciation, Baksheesh translation, English dictionary definition of Baksheesh
13. Baksheesh A gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service, especially in the Near East
14. Find more ways to say Baksheesh, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
15. The Baksheesh family comes in three weights with accompanying italics and small caps
16. Baksheesh - a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) backsheesh, bakshis, bakshish, gratuity, pourboire, tip
17. Baksheesh (Bribes) (Spies Lie Book 5) - Kindle edition by Kane, DS
18. Baksheesh Meaning: "a gratuity, present in money," from Persian bakhshish, literally "gift," from verb bakhshidan "to give"… See definitions of Baksheesh.
19. Baksheesh in British English (in some Eastern countries, esp formerly) or backsheesh (ˈbækʃiːʃ)
20. Baksheesh: 1 n a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) Synonyms: backsheesh , bakshis , bakshish , gratuity , pourboire , tip Types: Christmas box a present given at Christmas for services during the year Type of: fringe benefit , perk , perquisite an incidental benefit awarded for certain types of
21. See authoritative translations of Baksheesh in Spanish with example sentences, conjugations and audio pronunciations.
22. Baksheesh was a pleasure from beginning to end.’ Criminal Element “Enjoy the journey which is recounted in a breezy, humorous and intimate way
23. Baksheesh is an enjoyable book which manages to immerse you in Istanbul, introduce you to some interesting characters and include a murder-mystery all in around 250 pages.
24. Backsheesh definition is - variant of Baksheesh
25. See more usage examples of Baksheesh in Vocabulary.com’s dictionary
26. Translation for 'Baksheesh' in the free English-Arabic dictionary and many other Arabic translations.
27. Alternatively, the Baksheesh state could be understood as a government of panhandlers, for panhandlers and by panhandlers
28. There is little question or debate that under the TPLF Baksheesh state in Ethiopia has handily won the race to the bottom to become the #1 African beggar state
29. Dictionary entry overview: What does Baksheesh mean? • Baksheesh (noun) The noun Baksheesh has 1 sense:
30. A relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) Familiarity information: Baksheesh used as a noun is very rare.
31. Baksheesh was a pleasure from beginning to end.’ Criminal Element “Enjoy the journey which is recounted in a breezy, humorous and intimate way
32. Baksheesh is an enjoyable book which manages to immerse you in Istanbul, introduce you to some interesting characters and include a murder-mystery all in around 250 pages.
33. > Tipping in Egypt ” Baksheesh In Egypt” All information about tipping “ Baksheesh” in Egypt Because of the economic situation of the country with an ever-expanding population and depletion of resources, this means that a lot of people may be unemployed (a rate …
34. Synonyms for Baksheesh in Free Thesaurus
35. 6 synonyms for Baksheesh: backsheesh, bakshis, bakshish, gratuity, pourboire, tip
36. What are synonyms for Baksheesh?
37. Baksheesh's interior configuration has been designed to comfortably accommodate up to 8 guests overnight in 4 cabins
38. Baksheesh features a planing grp hull and grp superstructure, with teak decks
39. Definition of Baksheesh in the Definitions.net dictionary
40. What does Baksheesh mean? Information and translations of Baksheesh in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web.
41. Luckily, for a Baksheesh, the guests at the tavern are willing to take a little side job
42. The first expansion for Istanbul, the 2014 Kennerspiel des Jahres, Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh brings four new places, more interaction between the players, and new ways to gain the coveted
43. What is the meaning of Baksheesh? How popular is the baby name Baksheesh? Learn the origin and popularity plus how to pronounce Baksheesh
44. Still, while the Baksheesh is a fact of life in many places, it doesn't work everywhere
45. Patrick McGinnis: Learning to Negotiate and Pay Baksheesh in Egypt
46. All the western 'Baksheesh' and some fancy vote rigging helped the US-backed March 14 coalition, headed by Saad Hariri, win 71 seats.
47. Baksheesh, Lancaster, Lancashire
48. Eastern PromiSwing Balkano-Gypsy MadnessBaksheesh love to bring the party, from swinging eastern dance tunes to their own unique takes on a few classics
49. Latin & Bollywood DJ in Shanghai, China For Events Contact via Wechat: Baksheesh
50. Baksheesh in Saint Helena is your one-stop shop for all of your arts and crafts needs.You'll love the creative, handcrafted works of art this store offers.No matter what time of day you visit Baksheesh, you can find easy in-and-out parking for your hot ride
51. Baksheesh offers various parking options, including bike parking
52. So get your crafting on at Baksheesh where everyone can learn to be an
53. Hindi words for Baksheesh include घूस and बखशीष
In Asia, English speakers would have heard "baksheesh" used as a word meaning "gratuity, a present of money, tip" - a meaning they directly adopted. Etymologically speaking, "baksheesh" is from Persian "bakhshīsh," which is also the source of the word buckshee, meaning "something extra obtained free," "extra rations," or "windfall, gratuity."
• BACKSHEESH (noun) The noun BACKSHEESH has 1 sense: 1. a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) Familiarity information: BACKSHEESH used as a noun is very rare.
Backshish, bak'shēsh, n. a gift or present of money in the East, a gratuity or tip. [Pers.]
bakshish - a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) backsheesh, baksheesh, bakshis, gratuity, pourboire, tip. fringe benefit, perk, perquisite - an incidental benefit awarded for certain types of employment (especially if it is regarded as a right); "a limousine is one of the fringe benefits of the job".