antiphon (noun) · antiphons (plural noun)
1. Antiphon definition is - a psalm, anthem, or verse sung responsively
2. Antiphon, in Roman Catholic liturgical music, chant melody and text sung before and after a psalm verse, originally by alternating choirs (Antiphonal singing)
3. The Antiphonal singing of psalms was adopted from Hebrew worship by the early Christian churches, notably that of Syria, and was introduced into the West in the 4th century by St
4. As at present commonly understood, an Antiphon consists of one or more psalm verses or sentences from Holy Scripture which are sung or simply recited before and after each psalm and the Magnificat during Matins and Vespers.
5. Antiphon was a Greek orator and statesman who took up rhetoric as a profession
6. Antiphon · Vanishing Worlds (Mono, Animal Planet: Living Worlds Outtake) The subtitle took a turn for the optimistic and the show was renamed Living Worlds
7. Antiphon the Overseer was one of the first beings (possibly the first) known as Proemial Gods
8. Each Antiphon begins with the exclamation "O", which is why they are popularly called the "O Antiphons." They cover the special period of Advent preparation known as the "Octave before Christmas," from December 17th to the 23rd
9. (December 24 is Vespers of the Christmas Vigil, and does not have an O Antiphon.) [[33244, 33249]]
10. Definition of Antiphon in the Definitions.net dictionary
11. What does Antiphon mean? Information and translations of Antiphon in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web.
12. ) As at present commonly understood, an Antiphon consists of one or more psalm verses or sentences from Holy Scripture which are sung or simply recited before and after each psalm and the Magnificat during Matins and Vespers.
13. The O Antiphon for December 17, "O Sapientia"/"O Wisdom," is drawn from Isaiah 11:2-3 and 28:29
14. Latin Text of the O Antiphon for December 17 O Sapientia, quae ex ore Altissimi prodiisti, attingens a fine usque ad finem, fortiter suaviterque disponens omnia: veni ad docendum nos viam prudentiae
15. English Translation of the O Antiphon for December 17
16. Definition of Antiphony : responsive alternation between two groups especially of singers Examples of Antiphony in a Sentence Recent Examples on the Web The Italian Jewish composer Salamone Rossi …
17. Antiphon by Alfa Mist, released 03 March 2017 1
18. Antiphon was an Athenian sophist, author of Truth, Concord, and — if identical with the same person as Antiphon of Rhamnus — three Tetralogies and many court speeches
19. Start reading Antiphon: The Psalms of Isaak on your Kindle in under a minute
20. —(From the Greek Antiphonon, sounding against, responsive sound, singing opposite, alternate chant; Latin, Antiphona; French, antienne.)As at present commonly understood, an Antiphon consists of one or more psalm verses or sentences from Holy Scripture which are sung or simply recited before and after each psalm and the Magnificat during Matins and Vespers.
21. Marian Antiphon for Ordinary Time [Easter to Advent] The best known and perhaps most frequently sung Antiphon is the Salve Regina
22. Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesAntiphon · Nicholas BritellThe King (Original Score from the Netflix Film)℗ 2019 Lakeshore RecordsReleased on:
23. Alfa Mist – Antiphon Genre: Hip Hop, Jazz, Funk / Soul
24. The O Antiphons refer to the seven Antiphons that are recited (or chanted) preceding the Magnificat during Vespers of the Liturgy of the Hours
25. Ash Wednesday Entrance Antiphon, published and/or sold by Oregon Catholic Press for churches, schools, seminaries, ministries, individuals and more.
26. Antiphon by Ken Scholes- This is the third book in The Psalms of Isaak series
27. Antiphon is the official online publication of the Arizona American Choral Directors Association
28. An excellent source for members to share notices of choral happenings throughout our state community, Antiphon contains articles and resources regarding repertoire, choral pedagogy, rehearsal techniques, and networking within the choral profession.
29. Antiphon definition: a short passage , usually from the Bible , recited or sung as a response after certain Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples
30. Antiphon's speech in his own defence, a small papyrus fragment of which survives, was the finest speech Thucydides knew
31. When congratulated by Agathon on its brilliance, Antiphon replied that he would rather have satisfied one man of good taste than any number of common people.Antiphon was apparently the first to compose speeches for other
32. Antiphony definition, alternate or responsive singing by a choir in two divisions
33. Antiphon (ăn`tĭfən), in Roman Catholic liturgical music, generally a short text sung before and after a psalm or canticle
34. However, the sung introit, offertory, and communion verses of the Mass are also Antiphons, whose psalms have for the most part disappeared.
35. The structure of the Antiphon thus consists of hymn-like strophes, interspersed with verses of Scripture, whereas the response is drawn from the psalm itself
36. In the psalmus responsorius , moreover, all present take up the refrain, while in the case of the Antiphon, the hymn-like strophes are rendered alternately by …
37. ‘Since this Antiphon is the only composition thus far attributed to the daughter of Ioannes Kladas, it serves as the only source of style for the composer.’ Origin Late Middle English via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek antiphōna ‘harmonies’, neuter plural of antiphōnos ‘responsive’, from …
38. Antiphon's rhetorical skill and the fact that he charged money for his speeches earned him an avaricious reputation during his lifetime
39. Antiphon is the fourth album by american folk-rock band Midlake
40. The Roman Church has been singing the "O" Antiphons since at least the eighth century
41. They are the Antiphons that accompany the Magnificat canticle of Evening Prayer from December 17-23.They are a magnificent theology that uses ancient biblical imagery drawn from the messianic hopes of the Old Testament to proclaim the coming Christ as the fulfillment not only of Old Testament hopes, but
42. An Antiphon is a call-and-response style of singing, from Gregorian chants to sea shanties
43. Find 170 ways to say Antiphon, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
44. Synonyms for Antiphon in Free Thesaurus
45. 1 synonym for Antiphon: Antiphony
46. What are synonyms for Antiphon?
47. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 2017 Vinyl release of "Antiphon" on Discogs.
48. 480-411) Antiphon was a professional speechwriter who was active at Athens in the last quarter of the fifth century B.C
49. Antiphonal synonyms, Antiphonal pronunciation, Antiphonal translation, English dictionary definition of Antiphonal
50. Relating to or resembling an Antiphon
51. Answering responsively, as in Antiphony
52. Antiphon: 1 n a verse or song to be chanted or sung in response Synonyms: Antiphony Types: gradual (Roman Catholic Church) an Antiphon (usually from the Book of Psalms) immediately after the epistle at Mass Type of: church music , religious music genre of music composed for performance as part of religious ceremonies
Definition of antiphon. 1 : a psalm, anthem, or verse sung responsively. 2 : a verse usually from Scripture said or sung before and after a canticle, psalm, or psalm verse as part of the liturgy.
Definition of antiphon 1 : a psalm, anthem, or verse sung responsively 2 : a verse usually from Scripture said or sung before and after a canticle, psalm, or psalm verse as part of the liturgy
Synonyms for antiphon include psalm, hymn, carol, anthem, canticle, chant, paean, chorale, introit and plainsong. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com!
antiphonal(Noun) An antiphon; a piece sung or chanted in an antiphonal manner. antiphonal(Adjective) Characterized by antiphones or antiphony; incorporating alternate, or responsive singing by a choir split into two parts.