anathema (noun) · anathemas (plural noun)
1. The Greek root of Anathema originally meant simply “a thing devoted” or “an offering,” and in the Old Testament it could refer to either revered objects or objects representing destruction brought about in the name of the Lord, such as the weapons of an enemy.
2. Noun, plural a·nath·e·mas. a person or thing detested or loathed: That subject is Anathema to him
3. Anathema, in common usage, is something that or someone who is detested or shunned. In its other main usage, it is a formal excommunication
4. Anathema synonyms, Anathema pronunciation, Anathema translation, English dictionary definition of Anathema
5. A vehement denunciation; a curse: "the sound of a witch's Anathemas in
6. 15 synonyms of Anathema from the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, plus 27 related words, definitions, and antonyms
7. Anathema: a prayer that harm will come to someone
8. Anathema is Vincent Cavanagh, Danny Cavanagh, John Douglas, Lee Douglas, Jamie Cavanagh, & Daniel Cardoso
9. The form Anathema is generally used as the rendering of the Hebrew word herem, derived from a verb which means (1) to consecrate or devote
10. Anathema is widely misused, sometimes as a noun and sometimes adjectivally, to describe obstacles, opposites, or things that oppose.For example, these writers use the word in ways that don’t correspond to its conventional definition: [B]eing feminine in the workplace was Anathema [an obstacle?] to getting ahead.[Officialdom has always seemed Anathema to [to oppose?] contemporary art, which
11. Anathema were a progressive rock band from Liverpool, England.The group was formed in 1990 by Vincent and Daniel Cavanagh, bassist Jamie Cavanagh, drummer/keyboardist John Douglas and singer Darren White and originally known as Pagan Angel.Jamie Cavanagh left the following year, and the band had a long list of personnel changes since then
12. Since Anathema is a noun, using it with “an” would be both perfectly correct and, more importantly, unlikely to confuse anyone
13. However, when used to refer to an object of loathing, Anathema is more likely to be used without its two-letter friend, like an adjective.
14. Anathema Any attempt to conceal states within the laws would introduce an element of teleology into physics, which is considered Anathema by most scientists. From the Cambridge English …
15. Anathema is a great staff not only because it looks cool, but because you can switch between Benediction to increase your healing abilities or Anathema to increase your Shadow Damage abilities
16. The word Anathema is one of the most misunderstood terms in anti-Catholic apologetics. Almost all anti-Catholics, from the lowbrow end of the spectrum to those who give themselves airs of scholarship, misunderstand it.
17. They are the words with which the Jews began their greater excommunication, whereby they not only excluded sinners from their society, but delivered them up to the divine cherem, or Anathema, that is, to misery in this life, and perdition in the life to come. "Let him be Anathema" is, "Let him be accursed."
18. What does Anathema mean? One that is greatly reviled, loathed, or shunned
19. Question: "What is the definition of Anathema?" Answer: Anathema, as used in the New Testament, comes from the Greek ana’thema, meaning “a person or thing accursed or consigned to damnation or destruction.”Used only six times in the Bible, the word Anathema is usually translated as “accursed,” “cursed,” or “eternally condemned” in the more modern translations.
20. Anathema is a Weapon in Divinity Orginal Sin 2
21. Anathema Location/Where to find
22. The industry was complicated and highly regulated, both Anathema to private equity. INVESTORS EXTRACTED $400 MILLION FROM A HOSPITAL CHAIN THAT SOMETIMES COULDN’T PAY FOR MEDICAL SUPPLIES OR GAS FOR AMBULANCES BY PETER ELKIND WITH DORIS BURKE SEPTEMBER 30, 2020 PROPUBLICA
23. Anathema release 'Internal Landscapes - The Best of Anathema 2008-2018' featuring Dreaming LightOrder now https://Anathema.lnk.to/InternalLandscapesIDWatch m
24. Anathema is a great staff not only because it looks cool, but because you can switch between Benediction to increase your healing abilities or Anathema to increase your Shadow Damage abilities
25. Anathema biography Founded as Pagan Angel in 1990 in Liverpool, UK Their original line-up was: Darren White (vocals), Vincent Cavanagh (guitars), Daniel Cavanagh (guitars), Jamie Cavanagh (bass), and John Dougals (percussion), under the moniker PAGAN ANGEL.
26. Anathema: 1 n a formal ecclesiastical curse accompanied by excommunication Type of: condemnation , curse , execration an appeal to some supernatural power to inflict evil on someone or some group n a detested person “he is an Anathema to me” Synonyms: bete noire Type of: disagreeable person , unpleasant person a person who is not pleasant or
27. 7:26 an idol is called a herem = Anathema, a" thing accursed
28. In some cases an individual denounces an Anathema on himself unless "certain conditions are fulfilled (Acts 23:12, 14, 21)
29. "To call" "Jesus accursed" [Anathema] (1 Cor
30. Anathema isn't a band that are strangers to delicate or even acoustic arrangements of course, as quite a few of their compositions may start off if not quite in an acoustic manner then at least in a comparable one, building from a fragile state into creations of a more majestic magnificence.
31. Anathema, or anthema, literally placed on high, suspended, set aside), a term formerly indicating offerings made to the divinity which were suspended from the roof or walls of temples for the purpose of being exposed to view
32. Thus Anathema according to its etymology signifies a thing offered to God
33. The word Anathema is sometimes
34. Music: Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here (2010)movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)download:http://www.ulozto.cz/live/x7EfvbX/Anathema
35. In the context of the song, Anathema refers to a curse
36. Throughout “Anathema”, the narrator broods over the human condition and laments the fact that, as …
37. I've been a huge fan of Anathema since the early beginning, and listened endlessly to "Serenades" on my teenage stereo
38. Anathema (n.) 1520s, "an accursed thing," from Latin Anathema "an excommunicated person; the curse of excommunication," from Ecclesiastical Greek Anathema "a thing accursed," a slight variation of classical Greek anathāma, which meant merely "a thing devoted," literally "a thing set up (to the gods)," such as a votive offering in a temple, from ana "up" (see ana-) + tithenai "to put, to place
39. A vehement denunciation; a curse: "the sound of a witch's Anathemas in some unknown tongue" (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
40. Liverpool’s Anathema, started out in the early ‘90s as strictly a doom metal outfit, with the requisite growled vocals and the trademark muddy sound, but when original singer Darren White left
41. (Greek Anathema — literally, placed on high, suspended, set aside).
42. Thus Anathema according to its etymology signifies a thing offered to God.The word Anathema is sometimes used in this sense in the Old and New Testaments: In Judith 16:23
43. Important! Anathema was my first web serial and is now complete
44. The first seven Anathema arcs (with the exception of the prologue and first chapter) went offline on Sunday, the 29th of July 2018 as I wanted to re-release the ebook version into Kindle Unlimited
45. In May 2012 Anathema released Weather Systems, the most acclaimed and successful album of a career that has spanned over two decades
46. Liverpool's Anathema, started out in the early '90s as strictly a doom metal outfit, with the requisite growled vocals and the trademark muddy sound, but when original singer Darren White left the band in 1995, with guitarist Vincent Cavanagh taking the reins, Anathema started their slow journey into completely uncharted (and unexpected) territory.
47. (Greek Anathema-- literally, placed on high, suspended, set aside).
48. Thus Anathema according to its etymology signifies a thing offered to God
49. The word Anathema is sometimes used in this sense in the Old and New Testaments : In Judith, xvi
50. Anathema began to change direction after the departure of Darren White in 1995
51. Anathema is a band from Liverpool, England, UK primarily known as one of the pioneering and leading death doom metal acts,incorporatinggrowling,poetic lyrics …
52. The pictorialist landscapes expressed the value of formal qualities that were Anathema to establishment photographers.: Even though it is Anathema to spec builders and many engineers, a big part of the strategy is to reduce the fudge factor for extra capacity.: It conjures up images of upper class society, a world of fancy dress balls and rules for deportment that are Anathema to my very soul.
53. ‘It is an Anathema to me to suggest that someone in their 60s is past their sell-by date.’ ‘This sort of thing has every danger of deteriorating into a wider cultural rift between outsiders and others, which is quite Anathema to a place like Bangalore that thrives on its cosmopolitan character.’
54. Anathema lyrics - 137 song lyrics sorted by album, including "Untouchable, Part 2", "Fragile Dreams".
55. Anathema's first official recording, an EP titled The Crestfallen, was released in 1992, and was followed the next year by the full-length Serenades, the most traditional doom-styled album in their catalog.
56. Anathema definition: If something is Anathema to you, you strongly dislike it