See also: Alliums
1. The majority of Alliums are bulb-forming; however, there is a handful that grows from rhizomes, the way common chives (Allium schoenoprasum) do
2. Alliums, aka ornamental onions, are some of the most beautiful flowering bulbs for the spring and summer garden
3. Alliums are members of the onion family
4. Alliums are plants of exquisite beauty in both flower and leaf, with tough constitutions
5. Even crowded gardens can accommodate a few Alliums because they don't take up much space.
6. Read our growing, cultivation, and propagation guides down below and grow your own Alliums for their beauty or culinary uses: How to Grow and Care for Prairie Onion (Allium stellatum) Prairie onion is an ornamental native perennial with pretty, pink-toned, star-shaped flowers, and edible leaves and bulbs.
7. Alliums are gaining in popularity and it's easy to see why
8. Drumstick Alliums are instead marvelous team players, blending well with brights and pastels and happily introducing a splash of rich wine and a graceful oval form
9. Alliums come in all shapes and sizes and are lots of fun to grow
10. Sometimes called "ornamental onions", Alliums do best in full sun with well drained, fertile soil and good moisture
11. Allium, also known as flowering onion, is a spectacular and unusual looking flowering bulb that will add interest to any garden.As the name suggests, allium plants are members of the Allium family, which includes such plants as garlic, onions, leeks, and chives.All of these plants produce similar round, pom-pom shaped flower heads, though Alliums are the only ones usually exclusively grown for
12. Below, you’ll find more about the history and uses of some of the most popular Alliums.
13. Among the most interesting and diverse of the fall-planted flower bulbs, Alliums keep gaining in popularity year after year
14. Alliums are tough plants that have quite a few tricks up their sleeves
15. Because Alliums belong to the onion clan, these blooms are associated with that trademark odor
16. This smell works as an animal deterrent and, coupled with their taste, prevents Alliums from being eaten by creatures like pesky rabbits, deer, and other browsing animals.
17. But ornamental Alliums are anything but little
18. Alliums that tend to have these behaviors include Allium canadense, Allium paradoxum, Allium roseum, Allium scorodoprasum, Allium triquetrum and Allium vineale
19. The ornamental Alliums are a diverse group
20. Alliums are plants of exquisite beauty that deserve a place in perennial gardens
21. Use Alliums to add height and structure to …
22. Green Alliums Fake Flowers Pompon Mum Artificial Green Flowers for Flower Arrangement Fillers JBY930 HandcraftsInStudio
23. Alliums are bulbous perennials, Incredibly long-lived, they bloom for weeks on end, bridging the gap between spring and summer
24. Loved by bees, Alliums bear beautiful pompom flowers in shades of purple pink and white, and look fantastic when planted in large groups
25. Alliums make excellent cut flowers, both in fresh and dried flower arrangements.
26. Alliums include many familiar edible plants such as onions, leeks and garlic as well as attractive flowering types
27. Alliums come in a variety of sizes and have different space requirements
28. Above: Alliums in bloom on a rainy day at Sichtungsgarten Hermannshof in Weinheim, Germany
29. In a display, Alliums can be odorous (some would say malodorous), particularly the Sicilian honey garlic
30. Polly suggests adding herbs, sweet peas, and other highly scented flowers to Alliums, as a kind of nosegay.
31. Alliums Allium is the Latin word for garlic, which is fitting, since this plant species of garlicky herbs consists of scallions, leeks, chives, onions, shallots—and, of course, garlic.
32. How to grow Alliums These ornamental onions are bold and architectural, with large rounded heads of usually purple flowers, followed by attractive seedheads
33. Alliums synonyms, Alliums pronunciation, Alliums translation, English dictionary definition of Alliums
34. Alliums are easily grown and hardy to Zone 4, if they have nice loose, well drained soil
35. Hardy, Easy-Care, Deer- and Rodent-Resistant, Alliums are members of the onion family.
36. Alliums Allium bulbs are easy to grow, and are incredibly long-lived
37. Observing how garden designers combine Alliums with perennials can be a great source of inspiration for your own garden
38. (Note: this article features Alliums that are grown from fall-planted bulbs rather than herbaceous Alliums such as Allium ‘Millenium’ and Allium tuberosum.)
39. Allium Millenium is a standout among Alliums
40. Alliums as a genus are easy-to-grow and come in a palette of colors, heights, flower shapes and bloom times
41. Alliums can thus be planted to advantage among roses, peonies, hostas, and ferns and under trees and around shrubs
42. Small Alliums make a lacy edge at the front of a border: chives, which are easy to grow from seed, make a perfect edging for an herb garden, and they look pretty in front of roses, in a rock garden, or along the edge of a flower
43. Add the Alliums (shallots, scallions, leeks and onion) and a good pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until everything is nice and soft and smelling really good, 12 to 15 minutes.
44. Nov 13, 2020 - Alliums are cool looking statement flowers that bees and butterflies love! Plant the bulbs this fall for a beautiful spring and summer! #YearoftheAllium 2016 National Garden Bureau Year of the Allium
45. White Alliums - which ones are good? Posted by linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) November 3, 2020
46. Need help finding best location to plant Alliums.
47. Alliums multiply naturally, so Alliums can be left untouched and grows back each year
48. Remember, there is only one time of year to plant Alliums: in fall
49. If planted in fall, Alliums have enough time to establish before the frost
50. Watch Alliums grow from May to June
51. At De Vroomen, we sell many different varieties of Alliums.
52. Here, large purple Alliums grow in a mixed border with alstromeria, erysimum, campanula, cranesbill geraniums and lilies
53. The purple of the Alliums is enhanced by the purple of the campanulas and erysimum, while the greens and creamy yellows provide contrast
Medical Definition of allium. 1 capitalized : a genus of bulbous herbs (as an onion, garlic, or leek) of the lily family distinguished by a characteristic odor, sheathing, mostly basal leaves, and clusters of usually white, blue, purple, pink, or red flowers. 2a : a plant of the genus Allium.
Allium is a genus of monocotyledonous flowering plants that includes hundreds of species, including the cultivated onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, leek, and chives. The generic name Allium is the Latin word for garlic, and the type species for the genus is Allium sativum which means "cultivated garlic".
Like most flower bulbs, alliums are born to bloom and need no special care. Just plant them in fall, any time before the ground freezes. Most species thrive in zones 4 to 7 and will return to bloom again year after year.